Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Spring Break: Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, Day 2

After leaving the Belgian Blue show on Monday, I was told to come back on Wednesday morning. I had no idea what I was going to be doing, or for how long, but I was in now way going to turn down an opportunity to work. So I showed up bright and early on Wednesday morning, was immediately handed a walkie-talkie, and introduced to the Livestock Committee.

I had arrived in the middle of the biggest movement of livestock that takes place throughout the entire month long Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo: Junior Heifers. 4-H and FFA kids from around the great state of Texas travel to Houston by the hundred to show their heifers at the world’s largest livestock show.

I have grown up around cheer moms, dance moms, and even basketball moms, and I know how competitive they can be. However, nothing compares to the competition that rages within junior livestock shows. While a cheer mom will just yell at you and not take any action for fear of ruining her wonderful French manicure, a livestock show mom just might take a sorting stick and hit you up side the head with it.

These kids were coming in droves, unloading huge pickup trucks and trailers full of show material, along with prized heifers, and it was our job to direct, assist, and move them along as quickly as possible. And this whole ordeal is taking place within a space the size of four football fields.

I don’t think I was walked that much in my entire life. Up and down the stalls, helping in section E and then two minutes later, running over to section J. It was a madhouse, and we moved over 3,000 heifers into the conference center by the time the day was over, 5 ½ hours later. I have a new found respect for the people who work year-round to make sure the Livestock Show goes smoothly and according to plan!

It was amazing to see the dedication and effort that these kids and their families had put into these animals. After seeing all the equipment and hard work it takes to move and show these animals, I can understand why emotions run so high!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Creative Commons License
Serendipity by Ashley Culpepper is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at onthewaytofindingmyway.blogspot.com
.